Thursday, May 7, 2009

Colour TV

Several years back when the BMTC was called BTS, there was a scheme wherein you could win a TV if your bus ticket contained the winning number. Basically the BTS bus ticket doubled up as a lottery ticket as well. And it was a "colour TV", no less!! This was perhaps a mechanism to make sure that the passengers actually collected the tickets. The proclivity of conductors to reissue used tickets was perhaps prevalent even then.

I distinctly remember waiting for my uncle who used to live with us and used to travel regularly by BTS. I would collect the ticket and wait for the next day's newspaper since that contained the details of the winning number. This was a very exciting time, though I never won a thing. I am sure every household in Bangalore had a similar story. A colour TV was a pretty big thing then.

I dont remember when I stopped doing this. Perhaps when my uncle set up his own home. Like so many other wonderful things of my childhood this too is just a hazy memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment